4 Reasons to Get the Flu Shot
To get vaccinated or not… that is the question Canadians ask every Fall. Here are a few reasons why you might consider getting a flu shot this year.
- The flu can be serious
- The flu virus changes every year
- Your flu shots helps everyone
- It's easy!
1. The Flu Can Be Serious“The flu? I’ll be just fine after a few days of rest.” That might be true for the common cold, but the flu is much more serious. If you get the influenza virus, you’re likely to experience high fevers, extreme fatigue, muscle aches and severe headaches, in addition to the usual cough and runny nose. The flu shot is the best way to protect you and your family against getting the flu in the first place.
2. The Flu Virus Changes Every Year, And So Does The Flu VaccineThe flu virus circulates all around the world, and evolves very quickly. So quickly, in fact, that new strains of the flu are constantly emerging. Every year, scientists and health experts create a new flu vaccine designed to fight the most prevalent flu strains. This means old vaccines may not properly protect you against this year’s influenza virus. For the best protection for the current flu season, get your up-to-date flu shot.
3. Your vaccine also helps to prevent the flu for the people around you, not just yourself!Not everyone is well equipped to overcome the flu. Some groups, such as infants, seniors, and those with weakened immune systems, are much more vulnerable to getting the flu. By not getting the flu shot, you’re increasing their chances of getting sick as well. The more people that are protected against the flu, the less the virus can spread. Of course, members of at-risk groups are encouraged to get flu shots, but some, such as babies under the age of 6 months, can’t be vaccinated. To minimize their risk, you can do your part by getting the flu shot. You won’t just protect yourself, but you’ll also help protect others around you.
4. It’s Easy!
Getting a flu shot is quick and easy.
Don’t hesitate to o contact your pharmacist and know more about the flu shot availability at the pharmacy.
The information contained herein is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide complete information on the subject matter or to replace the advice of a health professional. This information does not constitute medical consultation, diagnosis or opinion and should not be interpreted as such. Please consult your health care provider if you have any questions about your health, medications or treatment.