DESMOPRESSIN, 10MCG/DOSE, NASAL SPRAY
This medication is typically used for diabetes insipidus. Its effects can be felt within 1 hour.
How to use this medication
This product is to be sprayed into the nostrils. To use:
- blow your nose to clear your nostrils;
- DO NOT SHAKE the container before use;
- tilt your head forward slightly;
- spray the prescribed dose into the nostrils, breathing normally - do not sniff deeply;
- wait 15 minutes after using the product before blowing your nose.
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Use it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. It must be used regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects. Be sure to keep an adequate supply on hand.
To avoid water intoxication, make sure you received all the information about fluid intake during treatment. Consuming alcohol may modify the effect of this product. Avoid alcohol consumption during treatment.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause redness of the face;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause nasal irritation or stuffiness;
- when used, it may cause local irritation.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
A treatment with this medication requires regular monitoring by a doctor. Be sure to see your doctor for all regularly scheduled appointments.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.
© Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.